[ovirt-users] How long do your migrations last?

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Fri Feb 13 14:53:17 UTC 2015

Hello list,

Our storage domains are iSCSI on dedicated network, and when migrating
VMs, the duration varies according to the size of the vDisks.

The smallest VMs are migrated in about 20 seconds, while the biggest one
may take more than 5 or 10 minutes.
The average duration is 90 seconds.

Questions :

1- Though I may have understood that the task of migration was made by
the SPM, I don't know what it actually does? (which bytes goes where)

2- Do our times sound OK, or does it look like improvable?

3- What bottleneck should I investigate? I'm thinking about the
dedicated hardware NICs setup of the hosts, the SAN, the MTU has already
been setup at 9000...

Any ideas welcomed.

--
Nicolas Ecarnot