[ovirt-users] how to prepare for an engine re-install

Robert Story rstory at tislabs.com
Wed Feb 18 15:12:40 UTC 2015

I'm running ovirt (engine 3.4.0-1.el6) on a dedicated engine machine with a
degraded raid array. This has caused the root filesystem to go read-only,
and the engine crashed. I can restart the engine, but after doing so, the
web page just loads a blank page. All nodes and VMs seem to be fine, I just
can't manage them via oVirt.

Because I'm offsite, my recovery option is likely limited to a reinstall of
the OS and ovirt.  I'm hoping for some pointers on what I can do in advance
to minimize the pain of this transition.

- Am I going to be able to recover without having to shut down VMs,
  exporting and importing?

- what directories should I back up?

- when I reinstall, should I upgrade and install 3.5.1, or first install
  3.4, get it working, and then think about upgrading?

- Is it possible/recommended/crazy to migrate to a hosted engine instead
  of a dedicated machine?

So I want to prepare for the worst before I try a reboot. If I'm lucky, the
reboot will at least come up with a writable filesystem, and I won't need to
re-install. If it doesn't come up, I want to be as ready as possible for
the reinstall.

Any hints and/or tips appreciated..

(I'll also be hanging out in the irc channel if anyone wants to respond in
that venue..)

Robert

--
Senior Software Engineer @ Parsons