[ovirt-users] [Feature review] Select network to be used for glusterfs

Sahina Bose sabose at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 07:04:18 UTC 2015

On 01/13/2015 09:45 PM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 02:51:34PM +0200, Lior Vernia wrote:

>>> REST API that lists the available networks (with IP addresses) would be
>>> used to select the network and pass to the create gluster volume API
> My question regarded the argument of the add brick API (in Engine
> level). Is it an IPv4 address (like it seems) or could it be a network
> name?

I've updated the feature page with the REST API and other comments. On
further thought, there will be no change to Add brick API, as the engine
will select the network to be used based on the networks setup for the
host. If "Storage network" role is associated with any of the networks,
this will be used. Otherwise, the host's address will be used to add the
brick.

There is a NEW API to allow for updation of brick's address.

>>> I'll update the feature page with the REST API changes as well.
>>>
>> If REST allows to choose the network used for gluster traffic, then I
>> think so should the GUI - I would not drop the list box from the design
>> in that case.

See above - have kept REST API consistent.

>>> Is there a way to block against changing IP address used by a network?
>>>
>> Yes, this should be implemented at least in the canDoAction() method of
>> SetupNetworksCommand (most of it is done in the SetupNetworksHelper
>> class). And perhaps this should be blocked in the GUI as well.
>>
>> Note that by the time 3.6 is released, the REST (and probably GUI) are
>> supposed to work with a different backend command that is currently
>> being implemented - so maybe you'll need to modify that instead, or on
>> top of the changes in SetupNetworksHelper.

Ok. Thanks!

>>> There would not be any change to existing volumes on upgrade, as bricks
>>> have already been added. Users can use the Edit brick option to update
>>> the network to be used, if required as mentioned in "Change network used
>>> by brick "
>>>
>> I suspect Dan referred to the upgrade path of the engine itself - if you
>> add a new "Gluster Network" boolean column to the DB, it will initially
>> be null for all current networks. You'd likely need to write an upgrade
>> script to assign the role by default to the existing management networks
>> in each cluster.
> yep.

Aah..ok! The "Gluster network" is not a mandatory role. That is, we
could have a case where the user does not want to select any network as
"Gluster network" and instead choose to continue using host's address
for adding bricks.

So existing deployments would continue to work as before - without this
role assigned to any of the networks.