[ovirt-users] Change gluster primary

John Gardeniers jgardeniers at objectmastery.com
Tue Jan 20 20:46:05 UTC 2015

Hi Alex,

I understand what you're saying and certainly there is no primary from
the Gluster perspective. However, things are quite different as far as
Ovirt/RHEV is concerned.

We had an incident last week where we had to take nix off-line. A
network glitch then caused a our RHEV to briefly lose connection to
jupiter. This resulted in all VMs crashing because the system was trying
to reconnect to nix. It did not try to reconnect to jupiter, despite it
being configured as the fail-over server. In the end I had to bring nix
back on line. RHEV still wouldn't connect. Finally, I had to reboot each
hypervisor. Even then, two of them still failed to reconnect and could
only be brought back by performing a full reinstall (we're using the
cut-down dedicated RH hypervisors, not the RHEL+hypervisor that you
use). All in all, quite a disastrous situation that lost us a couple of
hours. So yes, there is a primary from the Ovirt/RHEV perspective and
I'm really disappointed in how the system completely failed to handled
the situation.

regards,
John