[ovirt-users] Changing the engine HA ping address?

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Tue Jan 27 20:53:27 UTC 2015

Once upon a time, Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net> said:
> The gateway IP is a layer-3 switch, and I think sometimes it just is not
> responding to ICMP echo request in a timely fashion (traffic is routing
> just fine though).  How is the HA ping implemented?  How many requests
> does it send (and how many responses are required to be considered
> "good")?

I see ovirt_hosted_engine_he/broker/submonitors/ping.py that only one
packet is sent.  That's probably not a great way to do things; there are
a number of routers/firewalls/etc. that put ICMP echo requests to the
device (as opposed to through the device) at the very lowest priority,
and drop them under any load.

A better way would be to send multiple requests, with only one answer
required.  "ping -c 1 -i 0.2 -w <timeout> -W <timeout> <IP>" should do
that.

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>