[ovirt-users] VM Live Backup

Prof. Dr. Michael Schefczyk michael at schefczyk.net
Thu Jul 30 21:01:07 UTC 2015

Dear All,

One feature that I am really missing in oVirt is a foolproof (i.e., in a way that even I will be able to implement) scheduled (cron would be good) live VM backup that outputs ideally qcow2 files per disk plus an xml-configuration file that one could upload to a regular KVM host, in case that should be required. As far as I understand, that is not yet on the roadmap, correct? For my plain SOHO KVM hosts, I am using a script to do just that. While I almost never need the backups - files with a human readable text name which I know how to use on any freshly installed KVM host in case of a crash emergency -, I feel better keeping them available for some time period.

Regards,

Michael