[ovirt-users] [Gluster-users] HA storage based on two nodes with one point of failure

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Mon Jun 8 05:32:07 UTC 2015

On 06/08/2015 02:38 AM, Юрий Полторацкий wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have made a lab with a config listed below and have got unexpected
> result. Someone, tell me, please, where did I go wrong?
>
> I am testing oVirt. Data Center has two clusters: the first as a
> computing with three nodes (node1, node2, node3); the second as a
> storage (node5, node6) based on glusterfs (replica 2).
>
> I want the storage to be HA. I have read here
> <https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Storage/3/html/Administration_Guide/sect-Managing_Split-brain.html>
> next:
> For a replicated volume with two nodes and one brick on each machine,
> if the server-side quorum is enabled and one of the nodes goes
> offline, the other node will also be taken offline because of the
> quorum configuration. As a result, the high availability provided by
> the replication is ineffective. To prevent this situation, a dummy
> node can be added to the trusted storage pool which does not contain
> any bricks. This ensures that even if one of the nodes which contains
> data goes offline, the other node will remain online. Note that if the
> dummy node and one of the data nodes goes offline, the brick on other
> node will be also be taken offline, and will result in data
> unavailability.
>
> So, I have added my "Engine" (not self-hosted) as a dummy node without
> a brick and have configured quorum as listed below:
> cluster.quorum-type: fixed
> cluster.quorum-count: 1
> cluster.server-quorum-type: server
> cluster.server-quorum-ratio: 51%
>

> Then, I've run a VM and have dropped the network link from node6,
> after one a hour have switched back the link and after a while have
> got a split-brain. But why? No one could write to the brick on node6:
> the VM was running on node3 and node1 was SPM.

It could have happened that after node6 came up, the client(s) saw a
temporary disconnect of node 5 and a write happened at that time. When
the node 5 is connected again, we have AFR xattrs on both nodes blaming
each other, causing split-brain. For a replica 2 setup. it is best to
set the client-quorum to auto instead of fixed. What this means is that
the first node of the replica must always be up for writes to be
permitted. If the first node goes down, the volume becomes read-only.
For better availability , it would be better to use a replica 3 volume
with (again with client-quorum set to auto). If you are using glusterfs
3.7, you can also consider using the arbiter configuration [1] for
replica 3.

[1]
https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs/blob/master/doc/features/afr-arbiter-volumes.md

Thanks,