[ovirt-users] Need Advice on Hosted Engine installation

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Wed Jun 17 16:11:44 UTC 2015

On 07.06.2015 21:14, wodel youchi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are installing a new ovirt platform for a client. this is our first deployment.
>
> we chose Hosted Engine install.
>
> here is the hardware used and the network configuration used be patient :)
>
> We have 02 hypervisors for now.
>
> each sever has 8 nic ports, we will use bonding.
>
> A NAS with nfs4 for the Engine_VM the ISO and Export domains.
>
> And iSCSI SAN for the rest of the VMs (Data domain)
>
> At first we chose as a network configuration:
>
> 10.0.0.X/16 as DMZ (ovirtmgmt will use this network)
>
> 172.16.1/24 as Storage network. we've configured our nfs to export only on this
> network.
>
> -----------------
> We didn't configure the bonding manually at first, we thought that we could do
> it once the engine is up.... we couldn't :-(
This should be strait forward, but it's a little 'ovirt' - just think of
hierarchical structures; a resqource needs to be on the top level to be
able to assigned to the lower level.
- Datacenter
   - Cluster
      - Host

I'll walk you through the UI way:

1. In Datacenter Tab / logical networks create all the networks you need
with VLAN tags and MTU. There should already be a ovrtmgmt network, you
cannot edit this;

2. In the cluster tab, select a cluster and use 'add networks' in the
logical networks tab, add the appropriate networks to your cluster. Take
care to select/deseclect required networks and types there ( eg. vm
networks). If a host is missing a required network (see next step), it
will not be able to start VMs.

3. In the hosts Tab select a host, then 'setup host networking'

The rest is quite cool drag and drop stuff: if you need a bond, drag the
interfaces over each other.
Then, a bridge will be created with dragging the unassigned vlans to an
interface. There, you can also setup (ipv4 only) networks.
Take care to at least assign all required networks!

select validate and save.

Repeat with the remaining hosts.

--
Daniel Helgenberger
m box bewegtbild GmbH

P: +49/30/2408781-22
F: +49/30/2408781-10

ACKERSTR. 19
D-10115 BERLIN

www.m-box.de  www.monkeymen.tv

Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767