[ovirt-users] VM run once API required

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 11:27:58 UTC 2015

On 06/30/2015 08:16 AM, Chandrahasa S wrote:
> Hi Experts,
>
> We are integrating RHEV(M) with our internal cloud portal using RHEV(M)
> API, we are able to provision Linux VM using API. But IP and Hostname
> not getting reflected on vm  first boot. If we boot VM manually using
> run once its working fine. We are not able to find any run once API on
> RHEV end.
>
> Requested your help on this.

Assuming that you already installed cloud-init in the VM and that you
want to specify the cloud-init parameters as part of the request to
start the VM, then you will need something like this:

---8<---
!/bin/sh -ex

url="https://engine.example.com/ovirt-engine/api"
user="admin at internal"
password="..."

curl \
--insecure \
--user "${user}:${password}" \
--request POST \
--header "Content-Type: application/xml" \
--header "Accept: application/xml" \
--data '
<action>
  <vm>
    <initialization>
      <cloud_init>
        <host>
          <address>myhost.example.com</address>
        </host>
        <network_configuration>
          <nics>
            <nic>
              <name>eth0</name>
              <network>
                <ip netmask="255.255.255.0" gateway="10.10.10.1"
address="10.10.10.1"/>
              </network>
              <boot_protocol>static</boot_protocol>
              <on_boot>true</on_boot>
            </nic>
          </nics>
        </network_configuration>
      </cloud_init>
    </initialization>
  </vm>
</action>
' \
"${url}/vms/0f3c320-a409-4e9f-918e-3172818d54ed/start
--->8---

If you prefer the Python SDK (which is much better the moment you want
to do something more complicated) then it should be something like this:

---8<---
#!/usr/bin/python

from ovirtsdk import api
from ovirtsdk.xml import params

api = api.API(
  url="https://engine.example.com/ovirt-engine/api",
  username="admin at internal",
  password="...",
  insecure=True
)

vm = api.vms.get(name="myvm")

action = params.Action(
  vm=params.VM(
    initialization=params.Initialization(
      cloud_init=params.CloudInit(
        host=params.Host(
          address="myhost.example.com"
        ),
        network_configuration=params.NetworkConfiguration(
          nics=params.Nics(
            nic=[
              params.NIC(
                name="eth0",
                boot_protocol="static",
                on_boot=True,
                network=params.Network(
                  ip=params.IP(
                    address="10.10.10.1",
                    netmask="255.255.255.0",
                    gateway="10.10.10.1"
                  )
                )
              )
            ]
          )
        )
      )
    )
  )
)

vm.start(action)

api.disconnect()
--->8---

You can also use the Java SDK, let me know if you need an example of that.

> Thanks & Regards
> Chandrahasa S

> and any attachments. Thank you

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain