[ovirt-users] User is not authorized, ldap OK, but no user VM

David Smith dsmith at mypchelp.com
Tue Jun 30 21:27:47 UTC 2015

version 3.5.2-1.el6
using ldap authz; this piece is working OK, and verified OK.

I use the "Everyone" user to provide default permissions; that includes
PowerUserRole for the data center, a bunch of usertemplatebasedVMs, some
VnicProfileUser, DiskProfileUser, etc.

I add a new user in LDAP; and verify LDAP credentials work (ie, log in to
another system that uses the same ldap server)
LDAP confirmed working for *other* ovirt users-- not an LDAP issue as far
as I can tell.

I do *not* specifically add each LDAP user to oVirt, they're added to
"groups" in LDAP, so if they have the right group, they should be able to
authenticate to oVirt and use the system without me adding each user
individually.

In any case the narrowed down problem is this:
If the user doesn't have permissions (UserRole, etc) for *any* VMs, instead
of logging in and getting a blank VM list, they get "User is not authorized
to perform this action."

If I add that specific user to a test placeholder VM, they can log in. Once
they have a VM created, I can erase their user-specific permissions to that
initial test VM and everything works as expected. They are able to log in,
create VMs, etc.

If I remove all permissions for VMs from a user, they get this error.

Expected behavior:
User without any permissions to any VMs should simply get a blank VM list
on login. That way they can create a VM and go from there.

Thanks for any help/suggestions,
David