[ovirt-users] VDSM Network Bug or Feature?

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Wed Mar 25 10:34:06 EDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 10:31:14AM +0100, ml at ohnewald.net wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> i think i found a nasty Bug (or feature) of ovirt.
>
> One of my network cards was set up with dhcp. At this specific time there
> was not yet a dhcp server set up which could respond to dhcp requests.
>
> Therefore my network interface was not able to obtain an ip address. This
> „failure“ leaded to that my ovirtmgnt bride would not get startet.
>
> __Maybe__ because ovirtmgmt is alpha numeric after dbvlan116? Because all my
> bonding interfaces bond0 and bond1 started just fine.
>
> I was able to solve it by moving my /sbin/dhclient to /sbin/dhclient.backup
> and creating a dummy exit0 bash script as /sbin/dhclient.
>
> Then the network startup process seems to progress to my ovirtmgmt
> interface. From now on i was able to connect and manage my host again and to
> set up my dbvlan116 interface from dhcp to none.
>

> Here is the process list it seems to loop in:
>

> root      2554  0.0  0.0 115612  1988 ?        S<   10:06   0:00 /bin/bash
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth ifcfg-dbvlan116
> root      2594  0.0  0.0 104208 15620 ?        S<   10:06   0:00
> /sbin/dhclient -H ovirt-node06-stgt -1 -q -lf
> /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient--dbvlan116.lease -pf /var/run/
> root     32047  0.0  0.0 115348  1676 ?        S<s  10:06   0:00 /bin/sh
> /usr/libexec/vdsm/vdsmd_init_common.sh --pre-start
> root     32142  1.5  0.0 348460 24952 ?        S<   10:06   0:00
> /usr/bin/python /usr/share/vdsm/vdsm-restore-net-config
>

> Just killing the dhclient does not seem to work. It keeps retrying.
>

> I reported a bug before, but maybe its better to discuss it here first and
> explain the bug properly to that the Bugtracker guys know what i mean and
> what the problem is? :)

Good. But could you share the bug number?

> Maybe its best to start the ovirtmgmt interface first? Otherwise a wrong
> configured interface will lock you out of the system.

I don't think I understood what is the bug, and when does it show up.
Let's start with the basics. Which platform are you using? el6? el7?
- do you have NetworkManager or firewalld running?
- Which vdsm version are you using?
- How did you configure the networks? From Engine? Manually?
- Can you share your /var/lib/vdsm/persistence/netconf

Do you say that `service vdsm start` hangs forever?

Regards,
Dan.