[ovirt-users] Adding existing hosts to a new ovirt engine.

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Thu May 7 22:34:02 UTC 2015

On 05/06/2015 04:55 PM, Logan McNaughton wrote:
> I'm also curious about what to do in this situation, perhaps someone
> from Red Hat has some insight?

- you can disable the automatic install when adding a host using a
config value
> On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Jan Stomphorst
> <jstomphorst at promedico.nl <mailto:jstomphorst at promedico.nl>> wrote:
>
>     Hi guys,
>
>     My engine died and I have hosts with virtual machines running. Now
>     I want to add the running host to a new engine. Without disturbing
>     the virtual machines on the host.
>
>     If I add an host it tries to install the ovirt packages, but there
>     already running.

problem is that once the host is up and the 1st master domain is up all
your running VMs would be
discovered and auto added as external VMs and you will not be able to
manage them.

I hope you can get a your db backups and have a new engine installation
import the db.

it its a new engine installation then the certificate on the hosts is
invalid. new installation creates new certs. if you have a copy, great,
if no, you'll have to add and install (deploy) you're hosts.

if you can import you db dump then go to [1] to add a host without
installing it

assuming your running 3.5, if you don't have a backup you can at least
import the storage domains and import the VMs from the storage domains.

[1]  to add a host without auto installing

echo InstallVds > /tmp/props ; engine-config -s InstallVds=false -p
/tmp/props

restart engine for the configuration to take effect