[ovirt-users] Host In Peril?

Ido Barkan ibarkan at redhat.com
Sun Nov 1 07:25:34 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 12:04 AM, Duckworth, Douglas C <duckd at tulane.edu>
wrote:

> Doug

Hi Doug,
You haven't sated your vdsm/oVirt version so I my answers might be somewhat
generic.
1) once a network configuration (net-conf) is given by the engine, and is
configured by vdsm,
    vdsm stores it under /var/run/vdsm/netconf/{nets,bonds}. This is used
as an intermediate
    place fro this configuration, and allows the user to verify that his
requested net-conf
    indeed serves his goals.
    If the worst has happen, and all communication is now broken, and since
this path does
    not survive a reboot, it leaves the user with the emergency ultimate
option of rebooting
    the host and let it restooe the last knownworking net-conf (see2).
2) once engine calls setSafeNetworkConfig API verb, this info is copied
into /var/lib/vdsm/persistence/netconf/
    in an atomic operation. Since this path survives  a host reboot, the
host will restore
    all networks from that place.
    If I am not mistaking, the engine defaults to call this API immediately
after each netwrok
    setup (it can be toggled in a checkbox in the UI).

In general, the ultimate knoledge about the required networks sits in the
administrator mind,
and hopefully, in the engine database. So the best options you guys have is
adding the required netwroks
one by one from the engine, and call setSafeNetworkConfig after each
verified successful state.
This will ensure a proper state+backup on your host.

--
Thanks,
Ido Barkan