[ovirt-users] Error when trying to retrieve cluster, hosts via ovirt API

Juan Hernández jhernand at redhat.com
Wed Nov 18 18:10:18 UTC 2015

On 11/18/2015 12:22 PM, Jean-Pierre Ribeauville wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You were right .
>
> By setting correct URL and correct certificate file location , it’s working.
>
> If I well understand , as this certificate file has to be on the client
> side , isn’t a point if failure ?

The certificate is needed to secure the SSL communication. You can do
without it, adding "insecure=True" to the constructor of the API object,
but then the identity of the server could be forged and you won't notice.

> For example , for a cluster , it’s possible to retrieve hosts belonging
> to the cluster via this call:
>
> hostoncluster = api.clusters.get(id=api.hosts.get(obj.name
> <http://obj.name>).get_cluster().get_id()).get_name()

That should work, but when you are doing this kind of query it is
usually better to let the server do the search. You can achieve that
using the same query language that is used in the GUI search bar. For
example, in the GUI search bar you can type "Hosts: cluster=mycluster".
With the SDK you can do the same, using the "list" method and the
"query" parameter:

  hosts = api.hosts.list(query="cluster=mycluster")
  for host in hosts:
    print(host.get_name())

> How may I know list of available “fields”  for  host, cluster,
> datacenters and so on .. …

You can open the "params.py" file
(/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ovirtsdk/xml/params.py if you are
using the RPM packags) and look for the corrsponding class: Host,
Cluster, DataCenter etc. There you will see all the available "get_..."
methods.

> Thanks for help.
>

> J.P.

3ºD, 28016 Madrid, Spain