[ovirt-users] Collectd with Ovirt

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Fri Oct 2 11:03:46 UTC 2015

On 2 Oct 2015, at 11:17, Punit Dambiwal wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I want to use collectd (https://collectd.org/) to collect the guest VM usages in to graphs...as ovirt DWH and reports are not quite good...i want more good graphs and reporting of the usages...
>
> Please suggest me good way or tool to achieve this…

Hi Punit,
well…maybe you can use the DWH database? If it has the data you need you and you only want better graphs then the reporting package just works on top of those data…so you can use a different one instead
If you need different data then you need to get them in some other way….least intrusive might be periodic calls to REST API to get what you need…but be careful as REST API has a reputation of being quite slow….
If you need something faster you would need to move your data gathering closer to the source, either directly from DB or directly form hypervisors. Obviously the closer you try to get the implementation is increasingly more difficult and trickier:)

but if you're looking for host system performance data you would better do it over there…sysstat/sar or collectd…I would bypass oVirt's mechanisms and grab it myself, then perhaps correlate other data from REST API or DWH tables. e.g. correlating increased CPU/mem load on the host with the amount of VMs running on that host (well, that one you can do with oVirt's stats, depends if you need/want more low level stuff we don't have)

HTH,
michal