[ovirt-users] schedule a VM backup in ovirt 3.5

Indunil Jayasooriya indunil75 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 03:46:20 UTC 2015

> If you know the name of the VM then you can find it, including its id,
> doing a search:
>
> https://engine.example.com/ovirt-engine/api/vms?search=name%3Dmyvm

  Thanks for the above info. It worked.

> If you prefer to use a script, which is probably the right thing, then
> you can do something like this, using the Python SDK:

Can I shedule a VM backup with Ovirt Manager GUI. If possible, Pls let me
know.

> ---8<---
> #!/usr/bin/python
>
> from ovirtsdk.api import API
> from ovirtsdk.xml import params
>
> # Connect to the server:
> api = API(
>     url="https://engine.example.com/ovirt-engine/api",
>     username="admin at internal",
>     password="******",
>     ca_file="/etc/pki/ovirt-engine/ca.pem",
>     debug=False
> )
>
> # Find the VM:
> vm = api.vms.get(name="myvm")
>
> # Print the id:
> print(vm.get_id())
>
> # Disconnect:
> api.disconnect()
> --->8---

Many thanks for the above script. I ran it on Ovirt manager. It worked. It
gave me the ID of my CentOS_71 VM that I want to backup.

> Once you have the VM you can create a snapshot like this:
>
> ---8<---
> vm.snapshots.add(
>     params.Snapshot(description="My snapshot")
> )
> --->8---

I rewrote the script in this way and ran it.

#!/usr/bin/python

from ovirtsdk.api import API
from ovirtsdk.xml import params

# Connect to the server:
api = API(
    url="https://engine.example.com/ovirt-engine/api",
    username="admin at internal",
    password="******",
    ca_file="/etc/pki/ovirt-

> engine/ca.pem",
>     debug=False
> )
>
> # Find the VM:
> vm = api.vms.get(name="myvm")
>
> # Print the id:
> print(vm.get_id())

*vm.snapshots.add(          params.Snapshot(description="My
snapshot")         )*

> *# Disconnect: api.disconnect()*

No error was given. I have no idea whether snapshot wad added or NOT by the
above script.

I can't display it.

*How to display it?  *

Then, *How to backup the VM with this snaphot? *

Then, finally* how to delete this snapshot? *to delete the snapshot,

I tried with below command. the did NOT worked.

*vm.snapshots.delete() *or
  *vm.snapshots.detach(*

 or
  *vm.snapshots.remove(*

I think I am have completed about 50% of this backup process. If you can
write down the  above steps, It would be very grateful.

I searched a whole lot. But , I still can't do it.

These are the links I came across.

https://github.com/laravot/backuprestoreapi/blob/master/example.py

http://www.ovirt.org/Testing/PythonApi#Create_a_Basic_Environment_using_ovirt-engine-sdk

this is your one

http://users.ovirt.narkive.com/Z29BQWAD/ovirt-users-python-sdk-attach-disk-snapshot-to-another-virtual-machine

Hmm,

*How to list the sanphot? *

*how to backup the VM with snapshot? *

*finally , how to remove this snapshot? *

Then. I think it will be OVER. Yesterday, I tried a lot.  but, NO success.

Hope to hear from you.

--
cat /etc/motd

Thank you