[ovirt-users] why replica 3

Richard Neuboeck hawk at tbi.univie.ac.at
Fri Sep 4 06:56:03 UTC 2015

Hi oVirt group,

I'm currently trying to set up an oVirt 3.6 self hosed engine on a
replica 2 gluster volume. As you can imagine it fails since it expects a
replica 3 volume.

Since this part is hard coded during the installation this could be
easily remedied but on the other hand I'm not familiar with the oVirt
setup so I'm not sure if I would be disturbing something far a head that
again is puzzled by the lack of a replica 3 volume.

Is there a reason why it has to be exactly replica 3?
Shouldn't the redundancy of the storage back end be the responsibility
of the admin and therefore the option to choose (at least replicated and
distributed replicated) open?

I'm asking because the storage back and I'm using is kind of a 'big'
thing and it's hardware is put together to facilitate the use of replica
2. Sure I could create multiple bricks on those two machines but other
than a negative performance impact I would gain nothing. Since the price
tag of one of those servers is quite high the likelihood of getting
another one is exactly 0. So I'm sure it makes sens to you that I would
rather choose my own replication level than having one predetermined.

All the best
Richard