[ovirt-users] strange iscsi issue

Karli Sjöberg karli.sjoberg at slu.se
Tue Sep 8 05:45:36 UTC 2015

tis 2015-09-08 klockan 06:59 +0200 skrev Demeter Tibor:
> Hi,
> Thank you for your reply.
> I'm sorry but I don't think so. This storage is fast, because it is a SSD based storage, and I can read/write to it with fast performance.
> I know, in virtual environment the I/O always slowest than on physical, but here I have a very large difference.
> Also, I use ext4 FS.

My suggestion would be to use a filesystem benchmarking tool like bonnie
++ to first test the performance locally on the storage server and then
redo the same test inside of a virtual machine. Also make sure the VM is
using VirtIO disk (either block or SCSI) for best performance. I have
tested speeds over 1Gb/s with bonded 1Gb NICS so I know it should work
in theory as well as practice.

Oh, and for the record. IO doesn´t have to be bound by the speed of
storage, if the host caches in RAM before sending it over the wire. But
that in my opinion is dangerous and as far as I know, it´s not actived
in oVirt, please correct me if I´m wrong.

/K