[ovirt-users] strange iscsi issue

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Tue Sep 8 06:40:43 UTC 2015

On 08/09/15 09:05, Alex McWhirter wrote:
> Are we talking about a single ssd or an array of them? VMs are usually large continuous image files. SSDs are faster delivering many small files over large continuous file.
>
> I believe ovirt forces sync writes by default, but I'm not sure as I'm using NFS. The best thing to do is figure out whether it's a storage issue or network issue.
>
> Try setting your iscsi server to use async writes, this can be dangerous if either server crashes or loses power so I would just do it for testing purposes.

I do not recommend it, as it would not reflect real life usage later on.

> With async writes you should be able to hit near 10gbps writes, but reads will depend on how much data is cached and how much ram the iscsi server has.
>
> Are you presenting a raw disk over iscsi, an image file, or a filesystem lun via zfs or something similar?

Some tips when using iSCSI and general IO performance:
- The VM should be using VirtIO for both disk and NIC.
- I recommend XFS over EXT4, but both are OK generally. If possible,
however, I'd test with a raw block device first.
- Ensure you have enough paths to the storage and/or multiple iSCSI
sessions. You may wish to configure the iSCSI target portal with
multiple IP addresses (not only for redundancy, but for multiple
connections).
- I highly recommend 'fio' as an IO tool over Bonnie or hdparm.

Is the VM CPU the bottleneck, perhaps?
Y.