[ovirt-users] oVirt + gluster + selfhosted + bonding

Joachim Tingvold joachim at tingvold.com
Tue Sep 15 19:58:57 UTC 2015

Hi,

First-time user of oVirt, so bear with me.

Trying to get redundant oVirt + gluster set up. Have four hosts;

   gluster1 (CentOS7)
   gluster2 (CentOS7)
   ovirt1 (CentOS7)
   ovirt2 (CentOS7)

Using replica 3 volume with arbiter node (new in 3.7.0). Got that part
up and running (using ovirt1 as the arbiter node), and it works fine.

Initial goal (before reading up on both gluster and oVirt) was to have
everything v6-only, but found out quickly enough that we had to scratch
that plan for now (I see that there are some activity on both gluster
and oVirt on this, which is nice).

Anyways. We wanted to use the "self hosted engine gluster"-feature
(which, by the looks of it, is only present in 3.6). We installed 3.6b4
(3.6.0.1-0.1.20150821.gitc8ddcd8.el7.centos).

I already had the network set up (couldn't find any specifics on this in
the somewhat lacking oVirt-documentation?), something along these lines;

  * eth0 + eth1, bonded in bond0 (LACP)
  * vlan110 on top of bond0: v6-only for mgmt of host
  * vlan111 on top of bond0: v4 for gluster + ovirt

We then ran the 'hosted-engine --deploy' command, filling out the
information as best as we could (some of these options seemed to lack
documentation, or at least we had trouble finding it). The end-result
was like this[1].

Accepting this, we suddenly found ourselves without connectivity to the
host. Logged in via KVM, and this[2] was the last part of the log.

All of the interfaces we had before (bond0, vlan110, vlan111) was "wiped
clean" for it's configuration, and VDSM seems to have taken control on
that part (however, since the script failed, we seem to have ended up in
some kind of "limbo mode"). Rebooting didn't help bring things up again,
and we're currently looking into manually configuring things via VDSM.

Thought I'd post here meanwhile, seeing if we've missed something
obvious, or if oVirt should've handled this any different?

If relevant, the content of the answer-file referenced in [2] can be
found here[3].

[1] <http://files.jocke.no/b/dump_2015-09-08_22.14.21.png>
[2] <http://files.jocke.no/b/dump_2015-09-08_22.06.06.png>
[3] <http://files.jocke.no/b/answers-20150908215613.conf>