[ovirt-users] moving storage away from a single point of failure

Alastair Neil ajneil.tech at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 11:18:33 UTC 2015

My own experience with gluster for VMs is that it is just fine until you
need to bring down a node and need the VM's to be live.  I have a replica 3
gluster server and, while the VMs are fine while the node is down, when it
is brought back up, gluster attempts to heal the files on the downed node
and the ensuing i/o freezes the VM's until the heal is complete, and with
many VM's on a storage volume that can take hours.  I have migrated all my
critical VMs back onto NFS.   There are changes coming soon in gluster that
will hopefully mitigate this (better granualarity in the data heals, i/o
throttling during heals etc.)  but for now I am keeping most of my VMs on
nfs.

The alternative is to set the quorum so that the VM volume goes read only
when a node goes down.  This may seem mad, but at least your VMs are frozen
only while a node is down and not for hours afterwards.