[ovirt-users] Problem migration VM

Luca Bertoncello L.Bertoncello at queo-group.com
Wed Sep 23 13:11:55 UTC 2015

Hi Alex

> Thought so. The migration then cannot continue, obviously.

Obviously... :(

> > Can someone suggest me a way to call my script as FIRST script on
> shutdown/reboot and to block the shutdown/reboot until my script
> complete?
> > This will solve the problem...
>
> Add your systemd script as a "requires" entry in the systemd script
> responsible for shutting down the system?

What do you mean? Could you please explain, maybe with an example?

> > Of course, I can try with a wrapper for /sbin/shutdown and /sbin/reboot,
> but this is not a nice solution...
>
> Why don't you manage this from another machine, not from the hosts? Just
> have a script call the API to initiate maintenance, wait for the migration to
> complete, then call the API to shut down the host?

Well, the problem is, that the host MUST be able to shutdown and migrate the VMs if for example we have a black-out...
The UPS send a signal and NUT start the shutdown.
In this case, the VMs have to migrate.

> Or is it really too hard to do this from the GUI? I don't understand why you
> have such a hard requirement to be able to do this from the hosts - the
> whole point of Ovirt is that you don't have to manage your hosts on an
> individual basis!

Well, the problem is just one: if someone other Admin has to perform some works on the host that require a reboot, and he MUST log into a GUI to put the host in maintenance before the shutdown, we have a higher fail-possibility, if he forgot that.
And, of course, automatically shutdown cannot log into the GUI...

So, the best solution is, that the host itself, BEFORE the shutdown begins, send oVirt a signal and let oVirt put the host in Maintenance, migrating all VMs, and THEN, proceed with the shutdown...

I think, it MUST be possible, but I can't find how...

Thanks

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Luca Bertoncello

--
Besuchen Sie unsere Webauftritte:

www.queo.biz		Agentur für Markenführung und Kommunikation
www.queoflow.com	IT-Consulting und Individualsoftwareentwicklung

Luca Bertoncello
Administrator
Telefon:	+49 351 21 30 38 0
Fax:		+49 351 21 30 38 99
E-Mail:	l.bertoncello at queo-group.com

queo GmbH
Tharandter Str. 13
01159 Dresden
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Dresden
Handelsregistereintrag: Amtsgericht Dresden HRB 22352
Geschäftsführer: Rüdiger Henke, André Pinkert
USt-IdNr.: DE234220077