[ovirt-users] Importing disk images with import-to-ovirt.pl = Authentication Error

Adrian Garay adrian.garay at thaultanklines.com
Fri Sep 25 15:08:48 UTC 2015

We have an existing setup consisting of virt-manager/libvirt/KVM
hypervisors that we're planning to migrate to Ovirt.  Given that all of
our guests are existing KVM/virtio images, it does not make sense for us
to virt-v2v them over because of the ensuing registry/kernel/etc.
changes that may be unnecessarily applied.

One solution to this is the import-to-ovirt.pl script created by
Redhat's maintainer of virt-v2v.
https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2015/09/18/importing-kvm-guests-to-ovirt-or-rhev/
Running this script on a host against a disk image will import the image
to exported storage and mate it to a basic configuration so it can be
imported easily afterward, or at least it should.

Our current test set up consists of hosted engine Ovirt 3.5.4 on Centos
7.1.  When attempting to import an image using this script on the host
we get the following errors:

|libvirt needs authentication to connect to libvirt URI qemu:///system
||libvirt: XML-RPC error : authentication failed: authentication failed
||could not connect to libvirt (URI = qemu:///system): authentication
failed: authentication failed at ./import-to-ovirt.pl line 230.

I understand that diagnosing this script is well outside of the context
of this mailing list, but this is clearly just an authentication
problem.  We've tried the root, ovirt and the admin at internal credentials
and none of them work.   Is there a default login/password to access
libvirt on an Ovirt host?

Our system works as it should otherwise.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can shed light here.