[ovirt-users] 3.6.x to 4.0.2 issues + gluster + move storage domains

Gervais de Montbrun gervais at demontbrun.com
Thu Aug 18 17:32:51 UTC 2016

Hey Folks,

I setup an oVirt 3.6.x cluster with one of my host nodes as the NFS server. I did this because I was waiting for true Gluster integration (ie oVirt 4.0) and wanted to go ahead with setting up my test environment. I'd like to now move my existing 3 server oVirt cluster to 4.0 with Gluster setup as for all backend Storage Domains and then destroy/remove the NFS server that is running on one of my nodes.

I've upgraded my servers to 4.0.2 with my existing setup, but I am having all kinds of issues. I would like to try to clear them all up prior to trying to go to Gluster for the Storage Domains and would love some help. At the risk of overwhelming all of y'all, I'm going to try to list the issues I am seeing below and hope that folks will let me know what they would like to see in terms of logs, etc. If these are known issues that will be cleared up soon (or eventually) then I will wait and apply updates are they come, but want to make sure that the problems I am having are not unique to me.

1. The beautiful new dashboard shows that my cluster is N/A:

	 and I see the following events:

I don't know which log file to search for a solution.

2. My hosted engine never seems to start properly unless I manually set my hosts to Global Maintenance mode. I then have to re-run "engine-setup" and accept all the defaults and it will start and function. It does throw an error about starting ovirt-imageio-proxy when running engine-setup
[ ERROR ] Failed to execute stage 'Closing up': Failed to start service 'ovirt-imageio-proxy'

2(a). Can I just disable ovirt-imageio-proxy somewhere? Is this just supposed to make uploading ISO images simpler? I don't really need this.
2(b). Do I need to have DWH enabled? I am not certain when this was added into my hosted-engine setup, but I don't think I need it.

3. My vdsm.log is full of entries like, "JsonRpc (StompReactor)::ERROR::2016-08-18 12:59:56,783::betterAsyncore::113::vds.dispatcher::(recv) SSL error during reading data: unexpected eof"

4. Commands throwing deprecation warning. Example:
[root at cultivar2 ~]# hosted-engine --vm-status
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/ovirt_hosted_engine_ha/lib/storage_backends.py:15: DeprecationWarning: vdscli uses xmlrpc. since ovirt 3.6 xmlrpc is deprecated, please use vdsm.jsonrpcvdscli
  import vdsm.vdscli
or in the logs:
Aug 18 13:56:17 cultivar3 ovirt-ha-agent: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yajsonrpc/stomp.py:352: DeprecationWarning: Dispatcher.pending is deprecated. Use Dispatcher.socket.pending instead.

5. This error in the console: "ETL service sampling has encountered an error. Please consult the service log for more details." ETL service sampling log? Where's that?

6. The host that is running the NFS server had network issues on Monday and I have had to remove it from the cluster. It was working fine up until I did the lastest yum updates. The networking just stopped working when vdsm restarted. Could this be related to my switching the cluster "Switch type" to OVS from Legacy? I have since switched it back to Legacy. I'm going to completely remove oVirt and reinstall/re-add it to the cluster. As it is the NFS server, I do need the network to continue to function throughout the process. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lastly... If I clear up the above, how feasible is it to GoGO GlusterFS instead of my existing straight NFS server setup that I have now? Any advice on how to best move my hosted_engine, data, ISO, export Storage Domains to Gluster?

Cheers,
Gervais