[ovirt-users] oVirt 4 and Neutron

Devin Acosta devin at pabstatencio.com
Thu Dec 1 04:42:33 UTC 2016

Yaniv,

I am looking at the page that talks about ovirt-provider-ovn, and it sounds
like something I want to try. However the document seems to be not
complete, and I'm not sure i fully understand how it should be deployed.
When I downloaded the "ovirt-provider-ovn-driver-0-1.noarch.rpm" and try to
install on the oVIRT nodes it complains about needing other packages such
as:

- openvswitch-ovn-central
- python-openvswitch
- firewalld-system
- openvswitch-ovn-host

I don't see anywhere where it talks about getting access to the RPMS for
openvswitch-ovn-central. Also I presume like Neutron I would install OVN on
a Master node and then install some clients on the nodes? Can you provide
me additional information on this?

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 1:43 AM, Yaniv Dary <ydary at redhat.com> wrote:

> We are working on a native path to SDN via OVN (experimental at this
> point):
> https://www.ovirt.org/blog/2016/11/ovirt-provider-ovn/
>
> Using Neutron is an option, but at some point the native option might be
> easier to use (we want to add a UI for it and tighter integration).
>
> Yaniv Dary
> Technical Product Manager
> Red Hat Israel Ltd.
> 34 Jerusalem Road
> Building A, 4th floor
> Ra'anana, Israel 4350109
>
> Tel : +972 (9) 7692306
>         8272306
> Email: ydary at redhat.com
> IRC : ydary
>

> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 5:09 AM, Devin Acosta <devin at pabstatencio.com>
> wrote:
>
>> oVirt Users:
>>
>> My work is currently deploying oVirt 4.0.5 into our Development
>> environment. I see there use to be a maintained Openstack Neutron image
>> that could be used with oVirt to provide SDN functionality. I'm suspecting
>> that the reason for the image no longer being maintained is because it
>> became a hassle to keep updated and patched. From what I understand the
>> current idea is to just point your oVirt installation to an already
>> installed Openstack setup. I can easily install an image and install the
>> latest Openstack (Keystone/Neutron) and then point oVirt to it, but I want
>> to understand if that is the proper way to move forward. Is there a general
>> consensus with the way oVirt is moving in regards to Software Defined
>> Networking and Neutron in general? Just want to ensure I understand it
>> clearly before just installing my own Neutron if there is going to be
>> another method.
>>
>> Any feedback is appreciated.
>>
>> Devin Acosta RHCA

Devin Acosta