[ovirt-users] hostdev passthrough

Martin Polednik mpolednik at redhat.com
Tue Dec 6 08:04:53 UTC 2016

On 05/12/16 21:12 -0500, Charles Kozler wrote:
>If you're not using SRIOV then what do you need passthrough for? If it's
>for something like connecting a port that is connected to a mirror port on
>a switch then you can bridge it then add the nic to the VM. I've done this
>for security onion and other systems that need a mirror port to get data

The benefits of passthrough are

a) performance,
b) avoiding host stack (e.g. nic could only have guest OS drivers).

If your host is capable of passthrough[1], you can navigate to the VM
tab -> host devices subtab and assign the nic there.

[1] meaning VT-d (or AMD-vi) properly works
https://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/engine/hostdev-passthrough/