[ovirt-users] Hosted-engine --deploy FQDN questions

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Wed Dec 7 09:49:35 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Mark Steckel <mjs at fix.net> wrote:
> Marcin,
>
> ----- Marcin Mirecki <mmirecki at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> >           Enter the name which will be used to identify this host inside the
>> >           Administrator Portal [hosted_engine_1]:
>>
>> This is the name used for the host inside the Administrator Portal, so basically
>> the name of the VM inside the system.
>> This does not have to be the hostname, but there are also no objection for it.
>>

>> >           Engine FQDN:  []:
>> Yes, you are correct. This must be the FQDN of the host, resolvable to IP.
>> This fqdn will be used to access the administration portal.
>
> If I understand you correctly, both questions apply to the hosted engine vm. Correct?

No.

The first question is about the host, but not about its address or dns name.
It's about the name it will have in the engine, the one you see in the admin ui,
in "Hosts", as "Name". After too many questions about this question, we decided
to remove it, and in 4.1 it will simply default to the hostname. You'll still be
able to set it by manually editing the answer file or passing otopi
env, but will
not be prompted for it.

The second question is indeed about the name that will be used to access
the engine vm.

Then there is a third item, which we do not ask about: The name that the
engine should use to access the host. This is what you see in the admin ui,
in "Hostname/IP". This item is determined the following way, for the first
host: You are prompted for a NIC to use for the management bridge, we check
the IP address of this NIC, then do a reverse-lookup (gethostbyaddr) on this
address, and use the result. So you should make sure that this nic has an
IP address, that this address has a name (in /etc/hosts or dns), and that
this name will also be resolvable and point to the host, when used inside
the engine vm (again, by either using dns or manually setting it in
/etc/hosts there).

> (If so, I'm glad I asked, because I initially and incorrectly thought that the first question referred to the bare metal machine that hosts the hosted engine vm.)

Hopefully the above clarifies this. Please do not hesitate to ask if
there are still questions. Also, suggestions for better texts, to make
this simpler for the admin, are more than welcome! :-)

Best,

> Thanks
> Mark
>

>> Marcin