[ovirt-users] hosted-engine --deploy hanging, vm not responding

Mark Steckel mjs at fix.net
Wed Dec 7 14:36:52 UTC 2016

Folks,

I executed "hosted-engine --deploy" on a fresh CentOS 7.2 install. Before executing the cmd I also installed the he-appliance. (Also ran yum update, installed a few packages and rebooted before doing the hosted engine deploy.)

The process seems to go well but then it hangs here:

          The VM has been started.
          To continue please install OS and shutdown or reboot the VM.

          Make a selection from the options below:
          (1) Continue setup - OS installation is complete
          (2) Abort setup
          (3) Power off and restart the VM
          (4) Destroy VM and abort setup

          (1, 2, 3, 4)[1]: 1

          Please reboot or shutdown the VM.

          Verifying shutdown...

>From another terminal window I tried accessing the console but received the following:

    # hosted-engine --console
    The engine VM is running on this host
    Connected to domain HostedEngine
    Escape character is ^]
    error: internal error: character device console0 is not using a PTY

I've also tried option 3 above, but then it comes back with

    Checking for oVirt-Engine status at hosted-engine-1.example.com...
    [ INFO  ] Engine is still unreachable
    oVirt-Engine health status page is not yet reachable.

I am admittedly mystified at this point.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mark