[ovirt-users] Single server hosted engine... almost there

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Dec 7 20:33:24 UTC 2016

Hi Mark,

The error is correct, hosted-engine-1.pcstrac.com is not a valid hostname:

$ host hosted-engine-1.pcstrac.com
$

I'm lost, tho -- was this an error that occurred on the host during
hosted-engine --deploy, or was it an error that occurred in the hosted
enging VM when running engine-setup?

If the former, you need to ensure that you have a real DNS name for your
ovirt engine.  It's unclear (to me) that using /etc/hosts is sufficient.
However looking at the logs, it looks like it can locally resolve (to
xx.yy.18.122).

You might need to answer "Yes" to the /etc/hosts question..

The log seems to get far enough along that it presents you the engine vm
console URL?  It looks like the issue is that the engine vm cannot resolve
its own name.

-derek

On Wed, December 7, 2016 3:13 pm, Mark Steckel wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Thanks to Didi in another thread I'm making progress. (Lesson learned,
> choose 'disk' and not 'cdrom' when using the he-appliance.)
>
> So I reset to a fresh CentOS 7, installed various software packages
> including ovirt.
>
> I configed eth0 with a /32 public IP. I also added an alias for a
> x.x.x.1/29 on eth0:1.
>
> Finally I config'ed dnsmasq to provide both dhcp and dns (ensuring that it
> will read from /etc/hosts before forwarding dns requests) and added the
> IPs and hostsnames to /etc/hosts from the /29 IPs which are to be used by
> the VMs.
>
> Things proceeded nicely till resolving the he vm fqdn. (I tested to make
> sure that the he vm fqdm would resolve **Before** I ran 'hosted-engine
> --deploy'.)
>
>           |-           --== NETWORK CONFIGURATION ==--
>           |-
>           |- [ ERROR ] Host name is not valid: hosted-engine-1.pcstrac.com
> did not resolve into an IP address
>           |- [ ERROR ] Failed to execute stage 'Environment
> customization': Host name is not valid:
> hosted-engine-1.pcstrac.com did not resolve into an IP address
>           |- [ INFO  ] Stage: Clean up
>           |-           Log file is located at
> /var/log/ovirt-engine/setup/ovirt-engine-setup-20161207193757-6i03xg.log
>           |- [ INFO  ] Generating answer file
> '/var/lib/ovirt-engine/setup/answers/20161207193758-setup.conf'
>           |- [ INFO  ] Stage: Pre-termination
>           |- [ INFO  ] Stage: Termination
>           |- [ ERROR ] Execution of setup failed
>           |- HE_APPLIANCE_ENGINE_SETUP_FAIL
>     [ ERROR ] Engine setup failed on the appliance
>     [ ERROR ] Failed to execute stage 'Closing up': Engine setup failed on
> the appliance Please check its log on the appliance.
>

> The one thing I forgot is to update /etc/resolv.conf to include the host
> though I don't know if this matters...
>
> Logs attached.
>
> I suspect I've very close to having this working but am admittedly
> stumped.
>
> Pointers appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Mark

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745