[ovirt-users] Single server hosted engine... almost there

Mark Steckel mjs at fix.net
Wed Dec 7 22:42:05 UTC 2016

Hi,

OK, I reset things and tried again but was more more careful regarding the DNS setup which I believe was correct this. In other words, the FQDNs were resolved from both the host and the HE VM.

After the latest failure I execute 'ip address' to see the state of the interfaces. And lo and behold the /29 IP I had on eth0:1 no longer exists.

So some context.

The server's primary IP is a /24 with the gw being the x.y.z.1.

I have have a /29 subnet to use for the VMs.

I have been presuming that I place the a.b.c.1/29 on eth0:1 for the subnet's gw and OVirt will ether keep it in place or migrate it to the ovirtmgmt device. Instead it is deleted during "hosted-engine --deploy".(Note, when the .1/29 is assigned to eth0:1, the IP address is reachable from the the Internet.)

Dnsmasq is configured to a) serve a.b.c.2/29 a.b.c.6/29 via DHCP and b) to resolve unique FQDNs for each IP. The he VM set to receive the a.b.c.2/29 address.

Am I missing and or just misunderstanding something here?

Oh, and does ip_forwarding need to be set in the kernel? (ie net.ipv4.ip_forward=1)

Thanks
Mark