[ovirt-users] How can I import VMWare OVA file to oVirt 4.0?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Dec 14 14:49:59 UTC 2016

Hi Aleksey,

One more question for debugging purposes:  How long does the import go
before it dies?  Do you have enough time to run:

  ps aux | grep virt-v2v

On the import host while it's running?  This might help us determine
where it's trying to store the data.  It should be storing it in the
target storage, but it's possible that it's using temp space and then
running out.

-derek

aleksey.maksimov at it-kb.ru writes:

> Hi Shahar.
>
> Look at the attached screenshot
>

> 14.12.2016, 12:15, "Shahar Havivi" <shavivi at redhat.com>:
>
>     Hi,
>     I was able to import your VMs with storage domain that had 350GB free.
>     Your ova have a disk with 1GB actual size and 256 virtual size - when I
>     try to import to a storage with 50G I got the error that you had.
>
>     if you will look at /var/log/vdsm/import/... you will see the logs of each
>     import,
>     In the one that fail I found this line:
>     qemu-img: error while writing sector 423174528: No space left on device
>
>     virt-v2v try to convert via qemu-img the img from vmdk to qcow and
>     encountered free space issue in the storage domain.

>     issue or try to increase your storage domain if you want a quick fix.
>
>     The reason that I think you where able to import via the virt-v2v command
>     is the usage of 'virt-v2v -o null' which is not writing to the disk.
>
>     Shahar.
>
>     On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 12:54 PM, <aleksey.maksimov at it-kb.ru> wrote:
>
>         Engine - oVirt Engine Version: 4.0.5.5-1.el7.centos (CentOS 7.2)
>
>         All Hosts:
>         OS Version:RHEL - 7 - 2.1511.el7.centos.2.10
>         OS Description:CentOS Linux 7 (Core)
>         Kernel Version:3.10.0 - 327.36.3.el7.x86_64
>         KVM Version:2.3.0 - 31.el7.16.1
>         LIBVIRT Version:libvirt-2.0.0-10.el7_3.2
>         VDSM Version:vdsm-4.18.15.3-1.el7.centos
>         SPICE Version:0.12.4 - 15.el7_2.2
>         GlusterFS Version:[N/A]
>         CEPH Version:librbd1-0.80.7-3.el7
>
>         [root at KOM-AD01-VM31 ~]# virt-v2v -V
>         virt-v2v 1.28.1
>

>         13.12.2016, 13:20, "Shahar Havivi" <shavivi at redhat.com>:
>
>             version of Engine and Host and virt-v2v (which is running on your
>             host)
>             and are you running on Fedora, Centos ext?
>

>             On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 12:08 PM, <aleksey.maksimov at it-kb.ru>
>             wrote:
>
>                 1. No. This is an unacceptable option for me
>                 2. No. This is my first experience
>                 3. Versions where? On Engine or on Host ?
>                 4. Yes.
>

>                 13.12.2016, 13:03, "Shahar Havivi" <shavivi at redhat.com>:
>
>                     Thanks you,
>                     Several questions:
>                     1. did you try to import the disk target as preallocate?
>                     2. did you try to import other ova files?
>                     3. can you please send us version of virt-v2v, vdsm and
>                     engine and the os that you are running with.
>                     4. Is it possible for you to share the ova file?
>
>                     Thank you,
>                      Shahar.
>
>                     On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 11:23 AM, <
>                     aleksey.maksimov at it-kb.ru> wrote:
>
>                         Log attached
>
>                         13.12.2016, 11:32, "Shahar Havivi" <shavivi at redhat.com
>                         >:
>
>                             Thank you,
>                             We need the vdsm log as well please - its the host
>                             that you try to import the ova from under /var/log
>                             /vdsm/vdsm.log
>
>                              Shahar.

> [...]

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745