[ovirt-users] oVirt 3.6.7 upgrade to 4.0.5 and CentOS 7.3

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 18:25:13 UTC 2016

Il 21/Dic/2016 19:17, <ovirt at timmi.org> ha scritto:

Hi Gianluca,

currently we have:

2 hosts (one is running also the oVirt Engine)
1 DC
We are only using NFS storage.

No reports are used. But we have it integrated into our LDAP.

Best regards
Christoph

Am 21.12.2016 um 17:37 schrieb Gianluca Cecchi:

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 5:11 PM, <ovirt at timmi.org> wrote:

> Hi oVirt List,
>
> I wanted to upgrade our oVirt 3.6.7 installation in the next couple of
> days to oVirt 4.0.5.
> My hosts are running CentOS 7.2 currently. It is safe to perform the
> upgrade also to CentOS 7.3?
>
> Is 4.0.5 also support this version of CentOS?
>
> It is correct that the upgrade to 4.0 is the same as always?
> Just I need to install the new repositories?
> I guess I have to delete the old 3.6 repos or not?
>
>   # yum install http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/ovirt-release40.rpm
>   # yum update "ovirt-engine-setup*"
>   # engine-setup
>
> Best regards and thank you for your answers Christoph

Can you give more details, such as:
- how many hosts?
- how many DCs?
- how many Clusters?
- which kinds of storage domains in use (NFS, iSCSI, FC, ...)?
- currently using Hosted Engine? Planning to use it in upgraded environment?
- currently using reports and dwh and if so, currently using which database
for them?
- other custom configuration aspects?
The more you give in advance the more other users can share about their
experience.
In general this guide for RHEV should be of help for oVirt too:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-virtualization/4.0/paged/
upgrade-guide/
HIH as a first insight,
Gianluca

As the environment is simple I can try to simulate, probably next week, as
an exercise, as I have to migrate a similar test environment then.
I'll let you know.
Plain ldap or freeipa or what? I will test with freeipa as shipped in
CentOS 7.2 with updates (not yet upgraded to 7.3)