[ovirt-users] oVirt hook to manage physical CPU pool, and automatically pin CPUs without overlap on the host

David Jorm djorm at iix.net
Mon Feb 1 07:21:35 UTC 2016

Hi All

Thanks for the help that people have recently provided on this list.
I'm running into another edge case that, as far as I can see, does not
have a native solution within oVirt. I have a use case where every VM
must have 4 pinned vCPUs, and these must map 1:1 to physical CPUs so
that there are never two VMs contending for the same physical cores. I
already have code in place that ensures a VM will not be created or
started if n/4 VMs are already running on the target host, where n is
the number of physical cores. What I need now is to ensure that
pinning is managed so that each physical core maps 1:1 to vCPUs.

Would it be possible to manage the pool of physical cores in a local
DB, and implement a VDSM hook similar to the example on this page?

http://www.ovirt.org/VDSM-Hooks

Or would there be a preferable solution?

Thanks
David