[ovirt-users] How does VDSM-Fake actually work?

Nicolás nicolas at devels.es
Tue Feb 2 10:18:47 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm trying to set up VDSM-Fake
(git://gerrit.ovirt.org/ovirt-vdsmfake.git) for some tests, however, I'm
a bit confused about how does it actually work. As the instructions say,
I was able to build the project with Maven (however, the
org.ovirt.vdsm-jsonrpc-java dependency version had to be changed to
1.1.5 instead of 1.1.2-SNAPSHOT in pom.xml as this latter is no longer
provided at the repository).

Once built, I run mvn jetty:run and the server started correctly:

    2016-02-02 11:01:51.957:INFO::jetty-6.1.26
    2016-02-02 11:01:52.804:INFO::No Transaction manager found - if your
    webapp requires one, please configure one.
    2016-02-02 11:01:53,424 Application initialized.
    2016-02-02 11:01:53,442 Opening a Stomp server localhost:54322
    2016-02-02 11:01:53.702:INFO::Started
    SelectChannelConnector at 0.0.0.0:54321
    [INFO] Started Jetty Server
    [INFO] Starting scanner at interval of 10 seconds.

I could indeed verify it's listening on the VDSM port:

    [root at host ovirt-vdsmfake]# netstat -atpn | grep 54321
    tcp6       0      0 :::54321 :::*                    LISTEN
    44870/java

So the next step is to add a fake host via REST. I used scripts provided
here <http://www.ovirt.org/REST_API_Using_BASH_Automation> and I
successfully added the host, however, it starts installing all the VDSM
packages as it were a normal host and therefore it tries to start vdsmd
as well, which throws an error as the Jetty Server is already listening
on the 54321 port. I shut down the Jetty Server and allowed oVirt
Manager to install all the packages properly, then stopped vdsmd and
started the Jetty Server, but expectedly oVirt Engine fails with message
"Host xxx is non responsive", so what I actually got is a real VDSM host
and not a fake one.

FWIW, the fake VDSM runs on a different host, ports are reacheable from
the oVirt engine, proper /etc/hosts has been added to the engine to
reach the host, and no further customization of web.xml has been done.

I feel like I'm missing something here. Could someone shed some light on
what's wrong?

Thanks.

Nicolás