[ovirt-users] Getting qcow images into oVirt

Arman Khalatyan arm2arm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 10:32:36 UTC 2016

Hi,
You can import regular qcow2 images into ovirt with few steps:
1)check what kind of  image you have qemu-img -info vm4import.img
2) create an vm with exact disk image size as qemu-img -info shows.
3) run vm in paused mode(sometimes it is hard to find out the VM disk)
4) go to host where paused vm is running: find /rhev |grep "your vm uuid"
and get your vm image UUID
5) do not use dd, use better
qemu-img convert -p  -O raw $1  ${2} or
qemu-img convert -p  -O qcow2 $1  ${2}
with -p option you have a nice progress bar:)

Then poweroff the paused vm and start it.
Maybe someone has a better tools, but sometimes better to get an idea
behind the scene without any wodoo scripts.

 Dr. Arman Khalatyan  eScience -SuperComputing
 Leibniz-Institut für Astrophysik Potsdam (AIP)
 An der Sternwarte 16, 14482 Potsdam, Germany