[ovirt-users] Howto Remove Direct LUNs from ovirt hosts?

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Wed Jan 13 16:32:17 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 3:07 PM, gflwqs gflwqs <gflwqs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
> I have a scenario where i want to clone production data to developer vm:s:
>
> 1. Create a snapshot from a direct LUN from a "production" vm in a ISCSI SAN
> from which i take snapshots (built in functionality in the disk array.)
> 2. Take the snapshot and attach it as a direct LUN in a "developer" vm in
> ovirt.
> 3. Mount it and let the developers work with the data.
> 4. After some time the developer says they want to refresh the data.
> 5. Unmont the disk and deattach it from the "developer" vm.
> 6. Remove it from multipath and remove the iscsi sessions.
> 7. Repeat all previous steps when developer needs "fresh" data.
>
> I have succeeded with most of the steps above using the ovirt API.
> However step 6 is not done automatically when i remove the direct LUN from
> ovirt?

We do not manage removal of devices from hosts. Even if you remove the
device manually, we will find and it back when we do iscsi
and fc scan, to find new devices or to resize existing devices.

Devices and sessions are cleaned up when you deactivate a storage
domain, or put the host to maintenance.

> If i don't do this step manually i end up with a syslog with error messages
> from multipath and stale iscsi session which potentially can make ovirt
> storage fail.

Since EL 7.2 and on Fedora 22 or later, you may get error messages
about such stale devices, but it should not effect ovirt storage.
See https://bugzilla.redhat.com/880738

If it still does not work for you, please open a bug about it, describing
the use case.

Nir