[ovirt-users] adding an ip on a host that run a vm connected to that bridge

Dan Kenigsberg danken at redhat.com
Sun Jan 17 15:38:33 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 05:02:13PM +0100, Nathanaël Blanchet wrote:
> Why is it forbiden to add an address (static or dhcp) to bridge on a host
> that runs a vm which is connected to that bridge?
> As a workaround, I can put manually an address for that bridge on that host
> and refresh capabilities.

Historically, Vdsm has modified its network definition by first tearing
it down, and then setting it up again. The first step cannot succeed if
the bridge is being used by VMs.

In ovirt-3.6 we have introduced the ability to change the network's
layer 2 connectivity while VMs are using it. Users can now replace a
single NIC with a bond, or change the network's vlan ID, without
migrating the VMs away.

However, we have not implemented a similar change of layer 3
connectivity. It's doable, but not done (yet?).

> Is it a desired feature?

You should tell us!

I think it's nice, and would like to see it one day. It would not harm
if you open an RFE, stating your motivation for this. After all,
adding/changing an IP address is quite rare, and usually can be
postponed to a time where the host is not used.

Dan.