[ovirt-users] How to automate the ovirt host deployment?

Arman Khalatyan arm2arm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 16:08:22 UTC 2016

After few days playing with ovirt+foreman I can now deploy bare metal with
foreman and attach it to ovirt.
Over all it works, but there are some points to mention to beginners like
me:

a) To make a auto discovery ,ovirt and deployment working together one
should enable in "foreman-installer -i" following modules:
1. [\u2713] Configure foreman
2. [\u2713] Configure foreman_cli
3. [\u2713] Configure foreman_proxy
4. [\u2713] Configure puppet
6. [\u2713] Configure foreman_plugin_bootdisk
10. [\u2713] Configure foreman_plugin_dhcp_browser
12. [\u2713] Configure foreman_plugin_discovery
21. [\u2713] Configure foreman_plugin_setup
23. [\u2713] Configure foreman_plugin_templates
28. [\u2713] Configure foreman_compute_ovirt
33. [\u2713] Configure foreman_proxy_plugin_discovery

b) next follow the documentation:
http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/foreman/foremanintegration/

You should be able to see the hosts from ovirt interface.
I was not able to add an auto-discovered hosts to ovirt it always trows an
exception: Failed to add Host <UNKNOWN> (User: admin at internal). probably it
is a bug.

In order to add the hosts: first I provisioned the auto-discovered hosts
with foreman to centos7 then over the gui in . Important here to add into
installation template the path to ovirt repository:

yum install http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/ovirt-release36.rpm

If your provisioned host does not know the repository you cannot add the
foreman host from the ovirt gui.

 Dr. Arman Khalatyan  eScience -SuperComputing
 Leibniz-Institut für Astrophysik Potsdam (AIP)
 An der Sternwarte 16, 14482 Potsdam, Germany