[ovirt-users] oVirt Windows Guest Tools & Live Migration issues.
Pax at acronis.com
Tue Jun 7 21:13:20 UTC 2016
It seems guest tools installer is broken at least for Windows 2012 R2. It installs files into Program Files, but doesn't actually install drivers and QEMU guest tools. No errors, it reports that everything is ok, but it's not. oVirt guest tools is installed and work properly.
Workarounds are the following:
1. Start Device Manager and make sure all devices have drivers. Install drivers from «C:\Program Files (x86)\oVirt Guest Tools\drivers» if needed. Do not install video driver.
2. Start «C:\Program Files (x86)\oVirt Guest Tools\drivers\qemu-ga-x64.exe» manually.
3. Rename «C:\Program Files (x86)\oVirt Guest Tools\drivers\Balloon\2k12R2» into «…\w2k12R2», otherwise installed balloon service doesn't start.
From: <users-bounces at ovirt.org> on behalf of Anantha Raghava <raghav at exzatechconsulting.com>
Organization: eXza Technology Consulting & Services
Reply-To: "raghav at exzatechconsulting.com" <raghav at exzatechconsulting.com>
Date: Tuesday 7 June 2016 at 20:43
To: Michal Skrivanek <michal.skrivanek at redhat.com>
Cc: users <users at ovirt.org>
Subject: Re: [ovirt-users] oVirt Windows Guest Tools & Live Migration issues.
Guest tools are working and getting all details about guest vm as needed.
But one thing I didn't understand. What is the relationship between virtioserial driver and oVirt Guest Service? Without virtio serial driver, guest services does not start.
Also, how do we install memory baloon driver?
Tomorrow morning, I will post about Live Migration events after I attempt it.
Thanks & Regards,
On Friday 03 June 2016 04:36 PM, Michal Skrivanek wrote:
On 03 Jun 2016, at 12:57, Anantha Raghava <raghav at exzatechconsulting.com<mailto:raghav at exzatechconsulting.com>> wrote:
Thanks for quick feed back.
Windows Guests Agents - Where do I download them from? Not getting the proper links. Or is to a part of virt-drivers that we use during installation.
it’s part of ovirt-guest-tools. See http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2016-May/039779.html
Live migration failure - These are pretty busy VMs if not big. The event does not show any specific message but just as migration failed. Is the reason logged somewhere? Please share the log location so that I can check & share the log for meaningful message and proper screen shots.
There should be more details in the events at the bottom of the webadmin page (just make it a bit bigger it may not be te last message)
If they are busy VMs then you may have issues migrating them. There is some simple tuning available and it may help. You can increase the maximum downtime in VM properties dialog (500ms by default, you can go up to whatever is feasible for your VM, seconds, tens of seconds)
Bandwidth is limited to work on 1Gb network, if you have 10Gb availabl you can also tune /etc/vdsm.conf on each host and increase the maximum bandwidth 10 times
Thanks & Regards,
On 03 Jun 2016, at 07:14, Anantha Raghava <raghav at exzatechconsulting.com<mailto:raghav at exzatechconsulting.com>> wrote:
We have just installed oVirt 3.6 on 3 hosts with storage volumes on Fibre Channel storage box. Every thing is working fine except the following.
1. We have created 15 Virtual Machines all VM with Windows Server 2012 R2 OS. VM properties does not report the Operating System nor it shows the IP and FQDN in the Admin Portal. There is always an exclamation mark that reports about OS being different from the template and timezone issues. We have changed the timezone to Indian Standard Time in both VM and Host, same result continues. We have installed Windows Gues Tools, same result continues. Screen shot is below.
you doesn’t seem to run the guest agent. Make sure the service is started and works, then you’ll see IPs and more detailed info about each guest, and exclamation marks should go away
2. When we manually tried to migrate the VMs from one host to another one, the migration gets initiated, but will eventually fail.
Any specific setting missing here or is it a bug.
are they big or busy VMs? What does it fail on? There should be a menaingful message even if it’s just a timeout
All hosts are installed with CentOS 7.2 minimal installation oVirt node is installed and activated.
We do not have a DNS in our environment. We have to do with IPs.
as long as engine works with FQDN it’s ok
We are yet to apply the 3.6.6 patch on Engine and Nodes.
that may help with some of the issues above, so please try to do that
We are running a stand alone engine, not a Hosted Engine.
Thanks & Regards,
eXza Technology Consulting & Services
Users mailing list
Users at ovirt.org<mailto:Users at ovirt.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Users