[ovirt-users] best way to migrate VMs from VMware to oVirt

Brett I. Holcomb biholcomb at l1049h.com
Wed Jun 15 20:29:31 UTC 2016

On 06/15/2016 01:41 PM, Cam Mac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't had any luck using the oVirt GUI or virt-v2v (see earlier
> email), and I need to find a way to migrate quite a few Windows hosts
> (Windows 7, 2012, 2008, 2k3 etc) into my test oVirt cluster as a PoC
> so I can make a compelling case for getting rid of VMware. Using OVF
> files looks like a lot more manual work as compared to the GUI or
> virt-v2v, with their nice conversion features.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cam

Are you getting errors?

Here's what I have in my notes but you may already have tried it and the
GUI doesn't seem to have a way to do it.  I migrated from both ESXi6 and
VMwareWorkstation 11.  First I exported as ova.

**  Make sure the export directory is mounted.
*  virt-v2v doesn't like being run as root so run it as vdsm user and
you need to specify the shell.

   su - vdsm -s /bin/bash

For Export storage located on another computer remote to the one running
virt-v2v use the host:/export format

   virt-v2v -i ova -of raw -o rhev -os
ovhost1:/srv/exports/ovirt/export1 --network VLAN100 -oa sparse -on <vm
name> <input file name>

For Export storage located on a server that is doing exporting use this
format with local directory path for -os

   virt-v2v -i ova -of raw -o rhev -os /srv/exports/ovirt/export1 -oa
sparse --network VLAN100 -on <vm name>  /path/<input file name>

I moved my ova files to my host (I run hosted engine deployment). Then I
su'd and ran the second command since my host exports the oVirt Export
directory.

Once the command completes I run the oVirt admin import and select the
VMs from the list and move them over.  I have to change the location of
the storage since it defaults to the Engine storage and not my iSCSI
storage.

I've done it on mainly Linux and a Win 7 VM and it worked.  I haven't
tried any servers yet.

*