[ovirt-users] InClusterUpgrade Scheduling Policy

Roman Mohr rmohr at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 19:41:57 UTC 2016

Hi Scott,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 8:54 PM, Scott <romracer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade a self-hosted engine RHEV environment running 3.5/el6
> to 3.6/el7.  I'm following the process outlined in these two documents:
>
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6/html/Self-Hosted_Engine_Guide/Upgrading_the_Self-Hosted_Engine_from_6_to_7.html
> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/2300331
>
> The problem I'm having is I don't seem to be able to apply the
> "InClusterUpgrade" policy (procedure 5.5, step 4).  I get the following
> error:
>
> Can not start cluster upgrade mode, see below for details:
> VM HostedEngine with id 5ca9cb38-82e5-4eea-8ff6-e2bc33598211 is configured
> to be not migratable.

That is correct, only the he-agents on each host decide where the
hosted engine VM can start

> But the HostedEngine VM is not one I can edit due to being mid-upgrade.  And
> even if I could, the setting its complaining about can't be managed by the
> engine (I tried in another RHEV instance).

Also true, it is very limited what you can currently do with the
hosted engine VM.

> Is this a bug?  What am I missing to be able to move on?  As it seems now,
> the InClusterUpgrade scheduling policy is useless and can't actually be
> used.

That is indeed something the InClusterUpgrade does not take into
consideration. I will file a bug report.

 But what you can do is the following:

You can create a temporary cluster, move one host and the hosted
engine VM there, upgrade all hosts and then start the hosted-engine VM
in the original cluster again.

The detailed steps are:

1) Enter the global maintenance mode
2) Create a temporary cluster
3) Put one of the hosted engine hosts which does not currently host
the engine into maintenance
4) Move this host to the temporary cluster
5) Stop the hosted-engine-vm with `hosted-engine --destroy-vm` (it
should not come up again since you are in maintenance mode)
6) Start the hosted-egine-vm with `hosted-engine --start-vm` on the
host in the temporary cluster
7) Now you can enable the InClusterUpgrade policy on your main cluster
7) Proceed with your main cluster like described in
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6/html/Self-Hosted_Engine_Guide/Upgrading_the_Self-Hosted_Engine_from_6_to_7.html
8) When all hosts are upgraded and InClusterUpgrade policy is disabled
again, move the hosted-engine-vm back to the original cluster
9) Upgrade the last host
10) Migrate the last host back
11) Delete the temporary cluster
12) Deactivate maintenance mode

Adding Sandro and Roy to keep me honest.

Roman