[ovirt-users] oVirt and Ceph

Nicolás nicolas at devels.es
Sun Jun 26 08:49:28 UTC 2016

Hi Nir,

El 25/06/16 a las 22:57, Nir Soffer escribió:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 11:47 PM, Nicolás <nicolas at devels.es> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We're using Ceph along with an iSCSI gateway, so our storage domain is
>> actually an iSCSI backend. So far, we have had zero issues with cca. 50 high
>> IO rated VMs. Perhaps [1] might shed some light on how to set it up.
> Can you share more details on this setup and how you integrate with ovirt?
>
> For example, are you using ceph luns in regular iscsi storage domain, or
> attaching luns directly to vms?

Fernando Frediani (responding to this thread) hit the nail on the head.
Actually we have a 3-node Ceph infrastructure, so we created a few
volumes on the Ceph nodes side (RBD) and then exported them to iSCSI, so
it's oVirt who creates the LVs on the top, this way we don't need to
attach luns directly.

Once the volumes are exported on the iSCSI side, adding an iSCSI domain
on oVirt is enough to make the whole thing work.

As for experience, we have done a few tests and so far we've had zero
issues:

  * The main bottleneck is the iSCSI gateway interface bandwith. In our
    case we have a balance-alb bond over two 1G network interfaces.
    Later we realized this kind of bonding is useless because MAC
    addresses won't change, so in practice only 1G will be used at most.
    Making some heavy tests (i.e., powering on 50 VMs at a time) we've
    reached this threshold at specific points but it didn't affect
    performance significantly.
  * Doing some additional heavy tests (powering on and off all VMs at a
    time), we've reached the maximum value of cca. 1200 IOPS at a time.
    In normal conditions we don't surpass 200 IOPS, even when these 50
    VMs do lots of disk operations.
  * We've also done some tolerance tests, like removing one or more
    disks from a Ceph node, reinserting them, suddenly shut down one
    node, restoring it... The only problem we've experienced is a slower
    access to the iSCSI backend, which results in a message in the oVirt
    manager warning about this: something like "Storage is taking to
    long to respond...", which was maybe 15-20 seconds. We got no VM
    pauses at any time, though, nor any significant issue.

> Did you try our dedicated cinder/ceph support and compared it with ceph
> iscsi gateway?

Not actually, in order to avoid deploying Cinder we directly implemented
the gateway as it looked easier to us.

> Nir

Hope this helps.

Regards.