[ovirt-users] Importing VMs into Cinder backend

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Fri Mar 4 09:37:50 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 1:34 AM, Bond, Darryl <dbond at nrggos.com.au> wrote:

> Is there a recommended way to import a VM from Vmware into oVirt with
> Cinder back end?
>
> I have successfully created an image in the oVirt Import domain using
> virt-v2v. The image can be imported into NFS storage and works fine.
>
> I can create new VMs with disks in the Cinder storage.
>

> There does not seem to be any way of either:
>
> a) Import directly into the cinder storage (regardless if the import has
> raw or qcow disks

virt-v2v may support this, as it is using qemu-img under the hood, but I
guess we miss
the integration, passing the needed info from engine and accepting it in
virt-v2v.

(Adding Shahar)

> b) Move a disk from NFS storage into cinder

Correct, this is not supported yet with cinder/ceph disks.

Maybe you can do this manually:
- Import vm using v2v to nfs
- Create cinder/ceph volume in the correct size
- Copy the imported disk using "qemu-img convert" to the ceph volume
  ceph disks are used as "rbd:poolname/volumename"
  you also have to specify cephx auth, or copy ceph keyring to /etc/ceph/
- Detach the imported disk from the vm
- Attach the cinder/ceph disk to the vm

This work is planned for next version.

Nir