[ovirt-users] virt-v2v converting multi-disk

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Mar 5 22:25:38 UTC 2016

Hi - let's keep all replies on the mailing list so the information
benefits everyone.

On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 12:21:51PM -0600, Clint Boggio wrote:
> 2. Ran your tool on the disk image with a destination of "." And
> your tool put it directly in without having to use network
> bandwidth.

The tool in this case is "import-to-ovirt", I guess (since they
already run on KVM it must be)?

> This procedure works the best as the legacy KVM environment is
> Ubuntu based and permissions problems keep me from massaging the
> disk images while they live in the firm grip of sudo hell that is
> Ubuntu.

> How will your import tool react to my procedure, in terms of the
> three disk images ?

import-to-ovirt can handle multiple disk images.  If the disk images
are part of a single guest, then you should specify them all in one
command line run, ie:

  sudo ./import-to-ovirt.pl disk1 disk2 disk3 mountpoint

If the disk images are independent guests then you must run
import-to-ovirt three times.

> Will I have to run it on all three images ?
>
> Will the tool "see" that the second and third images are siblings of
> the main first image I import and put them in the same place,
> perhaps appending them to each other as one big disk ?

No, you need to specify it by running import-to-ovirt once per guest.

> Or will I have to run the tool on the first disk, then somehow add
> the second two disks to the newly imported machine through the GUI ?

Rich.