[ovirt-users] MOM crashes ovirt-guest-agent

Martin Sivak msivak at redhat.com
Fri Mar 18 13:44:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

it is not really a bug. You should give the VM more memory if you
expect that it will need it that fast. The ballooning mechanism has
its disadvantages and this is one of those. We do not react fast
enough when such a fast allocation happens.

There is really not much we can do from the mom / guest agent side. We
could slowly increase the available memory when the guest agent dies
(pretty easy to implement) and we might inform the system that a guest
agent is an important process (if that is even possible) so OOM killer
will avoid it. But that would not help with Cannot allocate memory
error as even the OOM killer takes time before it reacts.

Using low guaranteed memory values with ballooning for critical VMs is
probably not the best idea.

Regards

--
Martin Sivak