[ovirt-users] Reclaim disk space of thin disks

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Thu Mar 31 13:58:09 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 3:44 PM, Grundmann, Christian <
Christian.Grundmann at fabasoft.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> @ I'm unsure if that size should change - we've allocated blocks, they
> are still allocated from our perspective. From the storage point of view,
> there's a hole that can be used for other purposes.
>
> I'd look on the storage side.
>

> That’s the problem, if the space is still allocated it can’t be used for
> other VMs so it won’t help. Is there a possibility to deallocate the free
> Blocks of the Disk? I think virt-sparsify would do exactly that but can’t
> be used with ovirt?

Well, it's tricky ;-)  - the space is allocated, in the sense that the
storage 'promised' to give you X GBs of storage. It just didn't say where
does blocks are going to be. So once you unmap a block, it may take it and
give it to someone else. This is what thin provisioning is all about. You
get logical blocks which map to physical blocks. Once those physical blocks
have been deallocated, they may be used by something else, yet the logical
block is still yours - and if you'll write to it, you'll get a different
physical block.
Y.