[ovirt-users] gluster VM disk permissions

Bill James bill.james at j2.com
Mon May 23 16:00:48 UTC 2016

thank you very much for the reply.
My main question now is does it required to use "user = root" in
qemu.conf for the import script to work?
I know in my earlier testing I got a permissions error when doing import
until I added the root user line.

I guess I'll take it out and give it a try.

> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 02:53:02PM -0700, Bill James wrote:
>> maybe the other doc is old but it says:
>> "And a feature I intentionally removed in RHEL 7 was importing KVM → KVM"
>> which is what I am doing. raw disk KVM to ovirt.
>>
>> Yes I can copy the disk image over the top of a ovirt disk image,
>> but the import script seemed cleaner.
>>
>> Does virt-v2v try to convert the KVM image to KVM image or does it
>> just import it?
> Virt-v2v will now refuse to do this at all (except if you "trick" it
> as I did in my blog posting), but if we allowed it then it would make
> all kinds of modifications inside the guest which you don't need and
> have at least the potential to break things.
>
> The import-to-ovirt.pl script is/was intended as a simple import
> script which you should use instead in the case where guests already
> run on KVM and therefore don't need driver etc conversion/
> installation.
>
> As Nir said in the other reply, oVirt 4.0 has native import
> functionality and the import script is not needed at all for KVM ->
> oVirt imports.
>
> Virt-v2v should only be used for foreign hypervisor imports, such as
> VMware, Xen or Hyper-V to oVirt.
>
> Rich.

Cloud Services for Business www.j2.com
j2 | eFax | eVoice | FuseMail | Campaigner | KeepItSafe | Onebox

This email, its contents and attachments contain information from j2 Global, Inc. and/or its affiliates which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended to be for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the original message and any copies. (c) 2015 j2 Global, Inc. All rights reserved. eFax, eVoice, Campaigner, FuseMail, KeepItSafe, and Onebox are registered trademarks of j2 Global, Inc. and its affiliates.