[ovirt-users] oVirt 3.6 with ScaleIO

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Sun May 29 09:45:36 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 7:18 AM, Scott Sobotka <scott at pragmatica.us> wrote:

> Has anyone gotten an oVirt hosted engine and shared storage environment
> running with ScaleIO as the backing storage?
>
> I was thinking that I would just set up iSCSI LUNs in ScaleIO and have
> oVirt point directly to one for the hosted engine setup. From there, my
> plan was to assign disks to VMs as direct LUNs.
>
> Unfortunately, it looks like ScaleIO dropped iSCSI support at around
> version 1.32 and I'm at a loss as to how I can expose ScaleIO LUNs to oVirt.
>
> Thank you,
> --Scott Sobotka

I don't know much of ScaleIO, but at least since Liberty release it can be
configured as a cinder backend driver in Openstack
http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/config-reference/content/ScaleIO-cinder-driver.html
http://docs.openstack.org/mitaka/config-reference/block-storage/drivers/emc-scaleio-driver.html

So the more "natural" way that comes to mind is to interface oVirt with
cinder and configure ScaleIO in cinder in similar way as with Ceph backend
http://old.ovirt.org/Features/Cinder_Integration

But this implies configuring Openstack too and also I don't know how the
security part (see ceph authentication in above link), if present in
ScaleIO, could be managed

HIH searching a solution

Gianluca