[ovirt-users] desktop version of client?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 13:17:45 UTC 2016

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 11:23 AM, James Michels <
karma.sometimes.hurts at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Amy.
>
> We had the same needs back in July as we have some classrooms with thin
> clients and although we don't just offer the oVirt service we wanted
> something simple so users don't need to open a browser and just handle
> their machines in a simple way, so I found this project [1] that works
> quite fine for what we need. Manage virtual machine's power and start a
> viewer. Period. No more funcionalities (not sure if you need something more
> sophisticated...).
>
> The project has been stopped for a time but it seems that the maintainer
> is implementing new capabilities and fixing some things lately.
>
> As a side note, you didn't mention if your thin clients are linux or
> windows based but I believe this is for linux only.
>
> HTH,
>
> James
>
> [1] https://ovirt-desktop-client.click

Hello,
thanks for reporting about this project I didn't know about.

By the way on a Fedora 24 client I was able to successfully test it without
the need to create a python virtual environment

This is with python 2 present in F24 (not tested with the alternative
python 3 Python 3.5.1):
$ python -V
Python 2.7.12

and the currently provided packages:

sip-4.18-2.fc24.x86_64
python-qt5-5.6-4.fc24.x86_6

I was able to then run

python ovirtclient.py

I was not able to using anyway virtualenv (both 2 and 3 versions) that
seems anyway sort of broken
Without --always-copy switch the sip compilation tried to remove the
provided sip.so and clearly it failed
With --always-copy I got errors able to temporarily fix changing fix_lib64
function but then error again about importing _io....

Gianluca