[ovirt-users] Migrate oVirtBackup to sdk v4: How to create a snapshot

gregor gregor_forum at catrix.at
Fri Nov 4 20:42:04 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm started the migration of my backup tool [1] from sdk v3 to v4.
Whats the correct REST URI to create a snapshost from a given VM and how
can this be done with the SnapshotsService.add(...) method?

This method needs a "snapshot" object, but currently I don't know how to
obtain one from a given VM or initialize one which works with the
SnapshotsService class.

A REST way will also be interesting because the Python SDK is horrible
documented and I plan to move to basic REST. Also the Python SDK has
lots of bug's which consumes many of the migration time. For example a
obtained VmService object get by the VmsService.list(with filter) method
has no information about the ID but iterating over all objects from
list() without filter result in usable VmService objects. This will
later be documented, meanwhile I wrote a workaround.

cheers
gregor

[1] https://github.com/wefixit-AT/oVirtBackup